Tuesday 8 March 2011

Frugality to the rescue!

It's time for sowing seeds and I am trying to figure out what I want to plant this year. I wanted to try growing hot peppers from seed for the first time this year. I've heard that peppers are finicky to grow from seed, they rely, solely on the temperature of the soil on order to germinate properly. After consulting several trusted blogs and books, they all came to the general conclusion that peppers (whether sweet or hot) need consistent heat.

I was looking around for some heat mats made specifically for gardeners and was slightly disheartened that a lot of the high quality ones were a little too steep for my taste. I love plants, but I would love to save some money! So just by doing a little research online motivated by my own frugality, I decided to take thing into my own hands. This is by no means an original idea, but it's a great solution for those of us who cannot afford a heat mat at the moment.

I made a makeshift sort of greenhouse environment for my little seedlings. I already sowed my seeds in some moist soil before I started to gather materials needed for this little endeavor. Remember that once the seeds have sprouted, take them out of the makeshift greenhouse, they need sunlight as soon as they sprout!

What you need:   
    • A tray
    • A garbage/plastic bag (preferably a transparent one)
    • Your planters with seeds
    • A spray bottle

The tray I'm using. You need it to catch the water extra water should you water/mist your plants. It's also for convenience, it keeps your plants grouped together.
This is the garbage bag I used. A simple medium sized bag will do for my tray.
Some of the seeds I've sown in their peat planters. 
I've assembled the planters on the tray and I'm putting the entire thing in the garbage bag.  
I've tied it all together, there's still some space for air circulation which you need to prevent rot/mold from coming.
Putting the tray in a warm spot will ensure the "greenhouse effect." I put my tray on top of the fridge. If it gets too dry, you can just mist with a spray bottle. Check on them daily, to see if any sprouts come up.
The end result, is speedy germination. Aren't they cute?!  

1 comment:

  1. They are so cute! I use i piece of vapour barrier draped over the top, same idea.

    ReplyDelete