Tuesday 22 February 2011

Spring, where are you?

It's nearly the end of February and I'm itching to sow some seeds. To be honest I'm so excited about planting things that I just seem to want to plant everything in my garden. I should stop being so overambitious because I need to remind myself that I don't have a lot of space.

In order to satiate my gardening appetite, I've been washing out some pots with warm soapy water (I use dish washing liquid), and a little scrub of a water and hydrogen peroxide mixture. I wash extremely well with some steel wool and I let it dry. Most of my terracotta pots are washed and dried and ready to go. Now, you may be wondering... why make all the effort of washing pots when I'm just going to fill it up with dirt anyway? It seems counterproductive yes, but it's really not. A plants can carry a disease, or a fungus  and the pot can have residue of said disease/fungus. Rather than risk potential infection on a new plant, it's better to wash everything out. I had powdery mildew on my zucchini/courgette plant that just refused to go away, so it makes a lot of sense for me to wash the container that plant lived in. I just don't want to take risks when it comes to these things.

I've also been doing a lot of garden clean up, however, it's been mostly pots. The winter took a toll on my balcony, there's snow and ice, and my window boxes are filled with frozen soil and plants. Pictures to come later.

So spring, please come now. I want to grow stuff outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment